Home » London Borough of Tower Hamlets

Category Archives: London Borough of Tower Hamlets

Architects & Places

Make the Pictures Bigger

Click on any picture to enlarge it.
Use the browser back button to return to the post.

Royal Foundation of St Katherine, Butcher Row, Ratcliffe

Originally a religious community founded in 1147, it has had several homes, including the building that is now St Katherine’s Danish church by Regent’s Park. It moved to this site, the bombed site of St James, Ratcliffe, after WW2. R.E. Enthoven designed new buildings including a chapel in 1950-52. The chapel was refurbished in 2003-2004 by PRP Architects. The refurbishment included enlarged windows and a new window at the east end. The furnishings are a mixture of new and medieval ones brought from previous chapels.

limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_49 limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_
 limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_38  limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_5
 limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_13  limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_15
 limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_16  limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_19
 limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_4  limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_23
 limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_18  limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_35
 limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_36  limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_37
 limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_39  limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_43
 limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_48  limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_1
 limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_22  limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_24
 limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_45  limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_41
 limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_32  limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_11
 limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_12  limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_29
 limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_34  limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_31
 limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_33

St George’s German Lutheran Church, Alie Street, Whitechapel

Built in 1762-63 and attributed to Joel Johnson. Since 1998 it has been cared for by the Historic Chapels Trust. It retains most of its 18th century furnishings

whitechapel_gerrman_lutheran150916_35 whitechapel_gerrman_lutheran150916_31
 whitechapel_gerrman_lutheran150916_33  whitechapel_gerrman_lutheran150916_9
 whitechapel_gerrman_lutheran150916_28  whitechapel_gerrman_lutheran150916_19
 whitechapel_gerrman_lutheran150916_11  whitechapel_gerrman_lutheran150916_8
 whitechapel_gerrman_lutheran150916_18  whitechapel_gerrman_lutheran150916_21
 whitechapel_gerrman_lutheran150916_22  whitechapel_gerrman_lutheran150916_26
 whitechapel_gerrman_lutheran150916_30  whitechapel_gerrman_lutheran150916_27
 whitechapel_gerrman_lutheran150916_23  whitechapel_gerrman_lutheran150916_20
 whitechapel_gerrman_lutheran150916_5  whitechapel_gerrman_lutheran150916_6
 whitechapel_gerrman_lutheran150916_14  whitechapel_gerrman_lutheran150916_15
 whitechapel_gerrman_lutheran150916_16

St Paul, Glyn Road, Homerton (former) now Seventh Day Adventist

A large cruciform church in a grid of suburban streets. It is by Henry Cowell Boyes and dates from 1890-91. There are absolutely no signs outside to indicate its owners.

homerton_st_paul_former161113_1  homerton_st_paul_former161113_4
 homerton_st_paul_former161113_3  homerton_st_paul_former161113_6
 homerton_st_paul_former161113_5  
   
   
   
   
   

St Mark, Cadogan Terrace, Old Ford (former)

Built 1973-76 to replace a war damaged church, now a Montessori nursery just outside the south eastern (St Mark’s) gates of Victoria Park.

old_ford-st_mark210815_  old_ford_st_mark_former161113_1
 old_ford_st_mark_former161113_2

St John, Scandrett Street, Wapping (former)

Built in 1756 and designed by Joel Johnson. Mostly destroyed in WW2 but the tower was reconstructed in 1964 with flats built on to it in a sympathetic style in the 1990s.

wapping_st_john_former141113_4 wapping_st_john_former141113_1
 wapping_st_john_former141113_2

St Patrick, Green Bank, Wapping (Roman Catholic)

Immediately behind the former anglican church of St John it is a large classical church of 1877-79 designed by F.W. Tasker.

        wapping_st_patrick_rc141113_15 wapping_st_patrick_rc141113_2
 wapping_st_patrick_rc141113_11  wapping_st_patrick_rc141113_6
 wapping_st_patrick_rc141113_1  wapping_st_patrick_rc141113_12
 wapping_st_patrick_rc141113_7  wapping_st_patrick_rc141113_13

St Mary and St Michael, Commercial Road, Shadwell (Roman Catholic)

A very large church, with a truncated west tower. It was designed by W.W. Wardell and built 1856 and repaired by Arthur Sterrett following war damage.

shadwell_st_mary_and_st_michael_rc141113_7 shadwell_st_mary_and_st_michael_rc141113_2
 shadwell_st_mary_and_st_michael_rc141113_4  shadwell_st_mary_and_st_michael_rc141113_5